Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Suffering

One of the many things I dwell on is whether or not Bernadette felt pain in the moments before her death. I remember when Jack was very young, and we were visiting John Mark's parents. He was asleep on the bed upstairs, and as the rest of us were eating breakfast in the kitchen, I faintly heard his cries of terror. I ran up the stairs and found him on the floor, screaming in fear. I remember feeling so helpless and horrified that I allowed him to fall off the bed. There's nothing like watching your child get hurt or fall ill. So, I think about that day in October and wonder what it was like for her. Did she die in her sleep? What if those last kicks I felt before I left for my ultrasound were of her struggling? (Sorry, I know these images aren't exactly pretty, but I'm trying to be honest about the futile battles I experience in my mind.) Anyway, something I've come to realize is that the past is just that - the past. Regardless of whether she felt pain, she certainly isn't feeling it now. I need to transform my image of her death into what it truly is - a new life, an eternity in heaven. If only I could accept the fact that she's better off there, instead of in my arms. I imagine it's nearly impossible for any mother to accept that.

On a completely separate note, I wanted to ask you all to pray for a woman named Tricia who I found out about from a forum I frequent. She has Cystic Fibrosis and was preparing for a lung transplant when she discovered she was pregnant. She is currently 24 wks along, so the transplant has been postponed until the baby is delivered. Please pray for the physicians who have to help decide how long to go before performing a C-section. The longer they wait, the better chances the baby has of surviving. But the longer they wait, the greater the risk for Tricia. Her husband's blog is: CFHusband.Blogspot.Com

Edited to add: Tricia's website is http://65roses4pattysue.com/

4 comments:

The Goddess G said...

This is something I struggle with as well. For the most part I have made peace with it and believe his last moments were calm and peaceful.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I have a quote that I love...and think of it often. They say that time in heaven is compared to 'the blink of an eye' for us on this earth. Sometimes it helps me to think of my child running ahead of me through a beautiful field of wildflowers and butterflies; so happy and completely caught up in what he is doing, that by the time he turns around to see if I'm behind him . . . I will be. ~ Judy Bruner

Thinking of you...
~Carole
http://accordingtocarole.blogspot.com

Michele said...

Thank you Carole...that was a beautiful quote. A friend of mine emailed me a beautiful image of Jesus holding a baby in heaven. I will post it on my blog right now.

I love your blog, BTW! You were cracking me up by the second sentence. I don't know what happened to your son, but know that I am praying for your continued healing from his death.

God Bless,
Michele

The Goddess G said...

Michele,
I love that picture. It gives me peace.

My son Joseph had a severe bilateral CDH (congenital diaphragmatic hernia) we found out 2 1/2 weeks before he was born that there was nothing they could do for him because of the severity...so I carried him to term and he was born with no medical intervention. He only lived for one hour.

Up until that point we'd had a glimmer of hope...although not very much when I look back on it. But I don't regret it at all.

Grieving doesn't get any easier. I won't tell you that. But I remember those first dark days and dark months after he was born...and I would be lying if I didn't say that somehow living gets easier.

I'm thinking of you and holding you in my prayers.
~Carole

Michele said...

Carole - I am familiar with CDH from my research on omphaloceles (which are completely differing, I realize), and I'm so, so sorry for your loss. Finding out so close to delivery must have been a nightmare, to say the least. I am praying for you too!

Michele

(BTW, I deleted the entry with the pictures b/c the format was all screwy. Just mentioning that in case someone looks at your comment and is wondering what pictures you were talking about. :)