Thursday, October 11, 2007

36 week update

I apologize for the delayed update. We are getting settled, so I am finally able to spend a few minutes on the computer. John Mark drove us up to Baltimore last weekend, then flew back home on Monday. We are staying with friends who have so willingly taken the time to watch Jack and cook us dinner while I spend the days at Hopkins. A few weeks ago, I developed sciatica, and it has been really tough getting around and caring for our active little tot. So, John Mark decided to wrap things up in Huntsville, and he's en route as I type - yea!

I have been busy this week with surgical consults and prenatal checkups that left me emotionally drained and more anxious than ever to deliver this baby. Dr. Jallo, the pediatric neurosurgeon, stated that if she has closed spina bifida, we can wait to get it treated by Dr. Oakes in Birmingham. If it's open, they will fix it immediately. Dr. Sponseller, the pediatric orthopedic surgeon, prefers to do the osteotomies (readjusting the pelvic bones) when the baby is closer to 2 yrs of age, although Dr. Gearhart often likes to have it done when they are newborns. I was quite surprised by this, because it would mean a shorter initial stay and another longer trip later when our child is older. I imagine it will be very tough to deal with having our little toddler in traction for 8+ weeks, but I obviously trust their joint decision on this. I will keep you posted on what they decide.

My ultrasound wasn't super encouraging, b/c the physician that saw me (not Dr. Crino) was concerned that a chromosomal abnormality could be the cause of her condition. Her reasons were based on the fact that the baby's right leg was measuring very small, and she didn't think it was necessarily related to the cloacal exstrophy. She even claimed that the femur was measuring small, which was a new development. I refused an amniocentesis b/c any findings could potentially alter their decisions on treatment (i.e. they can deny to perform certain surgeries if she has a lethal defect). They also found only 2 umbilical cord vessels instead of 3. This occurs in 5% of pregnancies (and they might have already observed this in previous u/s, but this was news to me), but the doctor scheduled an echocardiogram for next week to make sure her heart is doing ok. I am also having to do non-stress tests 2 days a week b/c the baby is measuring small and they want to make sure her heart rate and movement are okay. I had my first one today, and everything looked great! I have been tempted to get really discouraged by this doctor's suspicions, but I really do sense that everything is related to the cloacal exstrophy and is not chromosomal. We'll find out soon enough!

My last appointment was with a perinatologist to do some basic prenatal care stuff. She didn't check my cervix, although when I was in Labor & Delivery a few days ago to make sure my back pain wasn't due to contractions, I was not dilated (my cervix was soft, however). Anyway, the baby is breech with his head digging into my ribs, and although that can very well change, she wanted to schedule a C-section for November 1 (The Feast of All Saints!). If the baby moves to the normal position before then, and I still haven't delivered by 39 wks, they will induce and I can attempt a vaginal delivery. She suspects that I won't go that long, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Women in my family just don't deliver babies early. :)

Anyway, I apologize for not keeping in better touch with you all individually. Every moment I'm not at Hopkins, I am trying to spend with Jack or helping around the house. And since Jack has been blessed with his 2nd cold of the season, neither of us are sleeping much. (I am counting the hours until John Mark can be here and take over night duty! lol)

Thanks again for all your prayers, support, and gifts. We couldn't have made it this far without them!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Praying for you and your family! May God strengthen you for the road that lies ahead!

Sarah L. said...

Just wanted to let you know that I have been thinking and praying for you and your family!!! I'm glad to hear that John Mark will be heading up there to help you out.