Saturday, February 2, 2008

Mardi Gras

This weekend, we drove to Mobile for Mardi Gras. Lots of unexpected excitement!

1. Fifteen miles from Caroline's house, as we are driving on I-65, we hit a deer! I was driving in the right lane, and I saw the adorable thing coming from the left side. The car in front of us just missed it, but there was no way I could avoid it. :( If I had swerved, who knows what would've happened to the traffic behind me. So, I ran right into it. Our Guardian angels were clearly protecting us, though, because it could have been MUCH worse. It hit our hood, then ran right into the right side of the windshield. I muttered (well, muttered may not be the best word) "Deer...deer...DEER!" and as John Mark looked up, he saw her head come right at him. If it wasn't for the column between the windshield and passenger door, she could've easily killed John Mark. I stopped on the side of the road, and all of a sudden, Jack just started screaming. I have a feeling he will never be much of a hunter after this experience. When I got out, I asked "Where is the deer? Did he run off?" But of course, she was lying dead near the trees 100 feet behind us. :( So, that was a great start to our trip. BUT,

2. Friends of the Webers (The Gaudet Family) won Extreme Makeover Home Edition yesterday! We knew they were in the Top 5, but we didn't get our hopes up since it seemed so unbelievable. Caroline and her family used to live 2 doors down from them, and I wish they still did so we could witness the excitement. They have the neighborhood blocked off, and the cops won't allow anyone to drive through. They are allowing the public to witness the demolition tomorrow and the unveiling next weekend, though. Anyway, we are so excited for them. They are now in Arizona at a resort and are going to the Super Bowl! They have 8 kids all together. Their family is involved in the charismatic community that John Mark's family belonged to, and they have been friends for many years. We are all praising God for the wonderful gift of a new home and a better life for their family. http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1201947350288250.xml&coll=3&thispage=2

So, I will post some pics of our car soon and keep you updated on the Gaudet's!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Michele,

We were so relieved to hear that no one was hurt in the accident this weekend! That had to be really frightening for you guys! We're really glad that you're okay.

And what wonderful news for your friends!! How awesome for them! We'll look forward to seeing the unveiling on ABC!

Have a great (if dreary) week!

Jennifer

Unknown said...

I heard from Robert Sunday and was glad to hear everyone was safe! It was good seeing you all at the wedding a couple weekends back!!