Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Owwsi

(Translation Jack-ish to English: "outside")

Jack's favorite things:
1. Choo choos (i.e. trains) and trucks, but especially trains. Sometimes I feel like this is all he cares about.
2. Books, particularly about choo choos
3. Thomas videos (I've only seen 1 at the library, and we pretty much have that one memorized. Thank God for youtube)
4. Food (he could live on strawberries if I let him)
5. Owwsi

We don't have a ton for the outside, so I'd like some feedback if you could. Should we build him a swing set? Mind you, I am cheap, so big purchases like this take a lot of thought. I usually talk myself (or hubby) out of anything over $20. Make that $5, unless it includes food or gas.

We have some push toys, a tricycle, a tree swing (thanks Mom and Dad!) that is about to break the poor tree limb because (ehhem, see #4) he's at least 30 lbs at this point. We definitely need to move it before our tree lands on our house. We also have a simple sandbox/trucks/shovels, which he loves. Add in some sidewalk chalk, a few balls, and a wagon, and that's about it for the outside. For someone who could practically live outside if we let him, I feel like there is something missing. But I'm finding that I have a fear (like my mom had when we were kids) that he'll never use it. So, for those who have one, do you recommend it? If not, what are your favorite outdoor activities for a toddler/preschooler?

I've also pondered the ever-daunting trampoline. I say daunting, b/c I am scared to death of those things. My parents probably vividly remember when I came home from a friend's house with an ankle so messed up (3 major tendons torn, including the achilles) that I vowed to never step on a trampoline again. But this is yet another activity that Jack loves and is a great way to get exercise.

On another note, I want to direct you to my friend, Mandy's blog. She posted some cute pictures of our kids playing. Jack had such a blast at their house! Usually it takes him 10 minutes to warm up, but he quickly left my arms and wreaked havoc on the poor girl's playroom. :)

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

My kids love the fred flinstone cars they push around the yard. And of course the ever-loving sprinkler in the summer. And I can almost assure you he'll play on a swingset since he's a boy. I wasn't even an "outdoorsy" kind of kid and I loved mine.

Thanks for leaving the comment on my blog. I still read yours (obviously) and I can appreciate how difficult everything has been for you. My mother went into early labor almost 14 years ago and lost my baby brother. I'm an only child so it was devastating to me and I saw the effects it had on her as a mother. Hold fast to your faith as I've already read that you're doing. Don't let this affect your relationship with Jack except in a good way. My mother pushed herself away from me and because of it, we're not close at all now. I don't mean for that to sound preachy at all, just trying to offer a view from a daughter's perspective.

Hope you're all doing well now and maybe after we move we can all three get our kids together for a play date. I bet Jack would have fun taunting my Chicken!

Stephanie said...

www.africanhut.com is where you can find the tea! It's cheap, too! It's under hot beverages and the second picture down. Just fyi! ;o)

Jennifer said...

Don't know if it helps or not, but my cousins are super young (my aunt adopted them from foster care several years ago). And they all adore the swing set. Joey, in particular is an absolute monkey! He loves the jungle gym. So maybe something like that? I've even seen them with rock walls and stuff. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. But Georgie, Joey and Elizabeth sure got a kick out of it... hmm.. or were they kicking each other? ;-)

Michele said...

Thanks Jennifer. Jungle gyms provide such great exercise! I also like the ones with the forts on top. I just need to convince myself that the nice wooden ones are worth the cost. It's hard to win my frugal self over. :)

CS said...

Okay, you guys HAVE to come over for a playdate as soon as we get home so Jack can ride the too huge Thomas we have. And then if you want to take it home in lieu of a swing set, I'll help you load it in the car!!!

Mandy said...

Alexandra loves her picnic table, small slide with playhouse ($5 at a yardsale), and swing set a lot.