Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Being Thankful

I have met some wonderful people through Bernadette's short life, some of whom I've already mentioned. Another friend of mine, who actually lives near me, is someone I met through a clubfoot forum. Her son has a serious muscle disorder, and I'd like to ask you to pray for him. He's in the hospital with RSV, which is scary for anyone, let alone a child who has trouble breathing to begin with. He's currently on a ventilator in the PICU. Her blog is here. She is such a self-less, down-to-earth mother who has given me so much support this past year. She is undoubtedly an inspiration to many moms who have special-needs children!

Jack and I are still in Mobile. John Mark drove his dad's car back home, but we stayed behind to get the car fixed and to have Jack play with his cousins. He absolutely loves it here. I am sick with a weird stomach bug, so I'm trying to hibernate and keep my germies to myself. We have been keeping up with the Gaudet's house. We went by last night (their neighbor behind them allows folks to stand in their driveway and watch) and were amazed that in a matter of 2 days, they already had the foundation, frame, and part of the roof already put up! At the demolition on Sunday, it was pretty funny to see people (particularly women) go nuts at having a celebrity in their midst. They kept screaming "Ty!!!" like little school girls.

Speaking of Extreme Makeover, we watched Sunday's episode about the girl who was diagnosed with brain cancer, which eventually spread to her bone marrow. Only months after their new house was built, she passed away on Dec 28, 2007. Her story really touched me because I know all too well that death and suffering are real. It's not just something that is reserved for somebody else. When they would ask her about the chemo treatment she received, she just said how sorry she was that other kids had to suffer like she does. That when you spend your days sick in a hospital bed, you don't get to live your life. They showed some kids in the hospital playroom who were there for treatment. These kids are forced to grow up way too quickly. A sweet boy, JJ, whose family belongs to our parish passed away last January from cancer. His mom is in a moms group I'm in, and she has been an inspiration to many. Joy just radiates from her, and it's so apparent that she is living her life to the fullest, knowing how easily it can be taken away.

So, my prayers go out to all children who suffer. For their parents who feel helpless and afraid. May God grant you peace!

No comments: