Thursday, October 23, 2008

Potty Training for Dummies

This has been a great week. Jack - and toddlers in general - always amazes me. As a first-time mom, I had no idea what to do with regard to potty training. Many encouraged me to just wait till he was ready. Others said that the later I waited, the harder it was going to be. I noticed that Jack just did not care when he peed in his diaper. He didn't have any desire to sit on the potty. I assumed that he'd be 5 before he even made an attempt.

But I read a weekly parenting column in the paper, and the woman who wrote in said that one day she told her 2 yr old (who had no interest like Jack) that the diapers were all gone. She stuck him in undies. When he made a mess, she'd calmly change him and say "you feel wet, don't you?" but didn't make a big deal about it. In 3 days, he was accident-free. I decided, heck, let's just try it.

Last week, when I bought the underwear, he cried. All of Walmart heard him say "No, I want diapers! Pee pee in diapers!" I thought for sure this wouldn't work. Today is Day 4. He went from (day 1) never stepping foot inside the bathroom to (today) peeing and pooping in the potty. And having the ability to hold it in. It was a little embarrassing having him run around the car dealership today holding himself. He wanted so badly to not wet his pants, but he's not too fond of public bathrooms. Who can blame him? :)

2 comments:

Mandy said...

That is awesome!!!! Lulee has been doing really well too. She had a diaper rash that was really bad about 2 months ago. We had to keep her out of diapers as much as possible to let the air help keep her dry and allow her to heal. She got used to it and now we are panties all day and pull-ups at night.

Stephanie said...

That's great! Punky FINALLY potty trained and I used a similar method. Only when Cupcake arrived we regressed back to diapers for a time. We've only had 2 accidents in about 2 months. A pretty good record! She's still in diapers at night though. Hope he continued the trend!!!