Wednesday, March 19, 2008

In the Kitchen

Today was a rainy day, and after playing in the puddles for a bit, I decided to make a couple of batches of this rice craft. It is so incredibly easy, and although it can make a mess (albeit a very easy one to clean up), Jack has such a great time that I like to do it for him while I'm doing the dishes or cooking dinner. He loves to push his matchbox cars around in it, spoon it into cups, and pour it into other containers (or all over the floor).

I absolutely love to cook. I am (very) far from a gourmet chef and I'm not very creative when it comes to designing my own recipes. But I love to try new things. The best online source I have found thus far is www.recipezaar.com. I have been using it for several years now, and some of my tried-and-true recipes are on there. I'm going to try to post some of my favorites on a regular basis. I don't know the rules in terms of copyright, so I will just post a link whenever possible.

Last night, I made Paula Dean's Asian Orzo Pasta Chicken Salad for the first time. I thought it was a clever way to get some vegetables into my family's mouth. Jack didn't care for it, but John Mark and I ate it up. It would be great for a potluck or a picnic. I thought it was a tad bland, so I added more soy sauce and a dash of salt. Chilling it overnight made it more flavorful, too. I have a hard time finding a big chunk of time to devote to dinner, so I always see what I can do the night before after Jack is asleep. I chopped up the veggies, thawed a whole chicken, and cooked the orzo pasta. The next day, I steamed the chicken using the method found at my other favorite website, Hillbilly Housewife. Pulled the chicken off, mixed all the ingredients together, and tossed the bowl in the fridge for later. So much less stressful!

Today, I made Cincinnati Chili, one of our favorites. I also cooked this for my whole family while we were at our family reunion in Pennsylvania. It's a great comfort food! And it's very easy to double or triple, which I did this time around to give to a family we know who just had a baby and another friend of ours who just underwent surgery. The recipe is below. I guess it would serve about 4 people, but I almost always double it (and in this case did x4), and whatever I have left we eat for lunch or I freeze. It freezes very well!

Cincinnati Chili

1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (~1/2 tsp)
1 T chili powder (edited to add this - I can't believe I forgot it!)
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne (I use 1/4 tsp to reduce the heat)
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 Tbsp cocoa (the powder stuff)
1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 C water
16 oz box of spaghetti noodles, cooked and drained
1-2 C cheddar cheese

1. Saute onion, beef, garlic, and chili powder until beef is slightly cooked. (I usually fully cook the beef and it's still great.)

2. Add remaining ingredients besides the spaghetti noodles and cheese.

3. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1.5 hrs.

4. Serve over noodles and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.

Yum! I like to serve this with a simple salad on the side.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ohh... that sounds yummy!! What a great recipe! :-) I'm not much of a gourmet either, but I love learning new things. I'm still learning my way around the kitchen for 2. I'm used to it just being me. And I've learned that guys are very hungry human beings. And they get cranky when not fed on time. LoL.. :-)
I also have a nice recipe for a "stew" of sorts that includes squash, zucchinni and stuff, if you're interested. It's kind of spaghetti-like in base, but turns into an ooey-gooey mess in a bowl. Mark loves it (so maybe John Mark and Jack would ?)- even our dog does. (We found this out accidentally, which turned out to be rather unfortunate for her.) The nice thing about the dish is that it's also pretty healthy. I won't post it here, because I don't want this to get too much longer. But, if you'd like it, just let me know.. and I can post again... or send it via email.

Hope you guys have a great day! HAPPY EASTER if I don't see you guys beforehand!!

Jennifer

Mandy said...

Thanks for the links. I love to cook too!!! I don't go all out and seem to cook the same things over and over so it is nice to get some new ideas!!! That chili sound like it will be a really good one to try. Man, I have to get off the computer now and go get something to eat. Ha-ha!!!

Have a great Easter and if you take Jack to an Easter egg hunt, I hope he finds the prize egg!!! :)

Michele said...

Jennifer - I would love the recipe! I'm all over dishes that hide veggies. Thanks. :)

Michele said...

Mandy - BTW, your lasagna is yummo! I keep meaning to ask you for the recipe.

Jennifer said...

Hey!

I sent it to your regular email. Posting hasn't been cooperating today. Hope you enjoy the recipe!

T Gold said...

M, I'm salivating here!! Cooking is a great stress reliever for me - I just wish I had more people to feed.