Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Rejoice in our suffering...



As most of you know, John Paul the Great passed away 2 hours before John Mark and I received the Sacrament of Marriage on April 2, 2005. I was getting my dress on in my mother-in-law's office across the street from the Cathedral. I was alone. The bells tolled, and I knew. I knew he had passed. I remember just dropping to my knees and praying a prayer of thanksgiving that he no longer suffered. Praying for our Church who would undoubtedly feel the gaping hole which had been his great and wonderful papacy. During our marriage ceremony, while my brother Joe began the Prayers of the Faithful with a prayer that our Papa rest in peace, I cried because I knew how much we would all miss him.

I was searching for this song, Homesick, by Mercy Me, on youtube because it has spoken powerfully to me these past 7 months. Seeing this video of JPII hit home because I can see now just how united we all are in Christ. I can see now how Bernadette was welcomed into heaven by all the angels and saints, including our beloved pope. I can't tell you how much comfort I find in that.

One thing that a lot of my friends may not know is that my mother and father lost their first child hours after his birth. They were always very open about it, but being the youngest of six and having a very relaxed childhood, it was just a part of our family's history. I felt no connection towards Emerick, my older brother. I was very sad for my parents, but until Bernadette died, I never really got what it must have been like for them. My mother never even got to see her son. How blessed we were to be able to hold our daughter and say goodbye.

Emerick was also at the gates of heaven to greet his niece. To carry her home. Thank God for that. Thank God for eternity.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I had no idea that your parents lost a child as well. I'm so sorry to hear that. They chose a beautiful name for him. I've never heard it before.

Carole said...

I have tears in my eyes and goosebumps reading this entry. The picture of Emerick at the gates of heaven waiting for his neice is stunning.

My grandmother gave birth to a baby girl who was born still. She never got to see her...hold her...touch her. So many times during this journey I have too thought about how grateful I was that I got to meet my son in a way that my grandmother was denied all those years ago.
~Carole